Churches

by Chris Peers

In 1857 the growing population of Boldmere led to the establishment of a new Church of England parish, and the church, dedicated to Saint Michael, was consecrated in 1857.

By 1903 the population had increased still further, and it was decided to erect a “chapel of ease” in Wylde Green. This was the origin of Emmanuel Church, Wylde Green, now a parish church in its own right.

In July 1964, Saint Michael’s Church was partially destroyed in an arson attack, though the tower and the South Aisle survived more or less intact. It was rebuilt in Staffordshire blue brick, and reconsecrated in 1967.

For a very useful account of the first hundred years of the history of St Michael’s Church and the parish, please see www.stmichaels.org.uk

Chester Road Baptist Church, on the corner of Boldmere Road and Chester Road, opened in 1905. At first it was housed in a temporary building on the same site, known as the “Tin Tabernacle”, which is still in use. The present church was opened in 1913.

An excellent source for the first 100 years of Chester Road Baptist Church’s history has kindly been provided by Chester Road Baptist Church. The church can be contacted as follows:

Telephone: 0121 350 2779
Email: office@chesterroadbc.org.uk
Website: www.chesterroadbaptist.org.uk
Facebook page: www.facebook.com/chesterroadbc/

Other Christian denominations are served by the Roman Catholic Church of Saint Nicholas in Jockey Road, Wylde Green United Reformed Church in Britwell Road, and Boldmere Methodist Church in Boldmere Road.

For more general information, see The ecclesiastical history of Little Boldmere article.

MENU